Saturday, December 12, 2009

Scratch one off of the Ole Bucket List!



So, I walk/jogged through my first race- the 5k Turkey Trot- with half of my family the weekend before Thanksgiving. I've wanted to be a runner for awhile now, even though I would do harm to my body in it's current state if I tried to start running (versus losing weight through lower impact activities). I must admit, though, that I only signed up because the race was only $5, and I was hoping it would give me motivation to ignore my excuses to not go to the gym during the busy end of the semester. Well, that didn't work, and although I was a bit frightened of coming in very last, I decided to go for the free t-shirt I would recieve, and because I knew I'd regret woosing-out if I didn't. It turned out to be a lot of fun and a great family shared experience. I didn't come in last, either, and I beat my own personal walking speed, too! I walked 3 miles in 50 minutes (I usually walk 2 miles in 45 minutes). I also made a new acquaintance with a nice, fun lady that I walked with. Our family took 2nd place overall, with some of my family member winning 1st place in their age divisions! Afterwards we made a big, delicious breakfast and watched Jim Gaffigan's take on bacon and cake (look it up on YouTube!!!) as we engorged our bellies with the same. It was quite the delightful experience, I must say. And I look forward to having more in the future. Maybe at next year's Turkey Trot, I will end up running the whole thing!

No comments: