Sunday, December 13, 2009

I'm just wishin' y'all a....


***Merry Christmas!!!***

I must say it has been hard focusing on Finals these first few weeks of December. I love to celebrate things. I've just been itching to pick up some scissors and cut a few snowflakes, crochet some hats, and put Christmas lights on everything. Luckily, I never got around to putting away most of last year's Christmas decorations, so they keep me company now as I study late into the night.
I also was able to spend time with my family and relatives making cookies because of the topic I chose for my science fair project for my Science Methods class: "Why Baking Recipes Don't Always Turn Out." It was fascinating and fun, and completely worth all the work I put into it. I won first place out of my class of about 25, so it was pretty exciting. And, now I can make my mom's chocolate chip cookies almost perfectly! It's amazing how many things go into making the perfect cookie- it's no wonder I've not tasted a cookie like her's from anyone else's hand. She's had years of experience and experiment! I'm starting to see the scientific things all around me, and I am feeling excited about investigating other problems and conducting more experiments for fun. I am still full of misconceptions about science and don't know much besides that, but at least I'm excited to learn!
Later, when I get my poster back, I'll add a picture of it here- I made it look like a giant cookie sheet with cookies on it. I also brought a batch of cookies to the science fair to help illustrate how delicious they are and why it would be interesting to know how to make them. It has secretly been nagging me that that was what won me the trophy. But I think I did a great job on everything else and I'm proud of my work. The funny thing is that usually I think I'm underachieving on school projects and am worried I won't pass, but then I show up to class and the teacher just raves on and on about my work. It's actually a little frustrating, because when I do go into class thinking I am prepared and will do a great job, it seems it's only ho-hum to others. So, hmmm... I don't know what to do about that!
I am planning on going to Ballet West's production of "The Nutcracker Ballet" next week with some friends. I love Tchaikovsky's music and I love the story of the Nutcracker. Tie that in with some great dancing and beautiful costume work and I am in Heaven! I've seen many versions of this ballet over the years and have started making it my own personal holiday tradition, whether anyone wants to go with me or not. I also started collecting nutcrackers a few years ago (I look for either very nice-looking/handsome ones, or very funny/creative or creepy/wierd ones). I also watched the cartoon version of it, which I grew up with, tonight and laughed quite hard at the slapsticky cartoon parts about Princess Perlapants and the Rat Queen. So, yep I'm excited for next week!
(The Images above are: The Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairies!!! (Some of the felt dolls I sewed this summer)

No comments: